By Marilyn Markel for Island Eye News
Summertime is so abundant with colorful vegetables. Enjoy the bounty of the season with these quick and easy vegetable cakes. Enjoy these with smoked or fresh tomatoes and toast the season with this refreshing wine. Serves: 6-8
• 2 cups summer peas, boiled until tender
• 2 cups corn, cut off the cob
• 1/4 cup minced smoked sundried tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 2/3 cup flour
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 6 Roma tomatoes, quartered
• Add wood chips to the grill or stovetop smoker. If using a grill soak the chips for an hour or so. Place the chips into a foil packet punched with small holes. Place directly on the coals. Add tomatoes to the grill or stovetop smoker.
• Smoke tomatoes until tender about 15 minutes.
• Combine peas, corn, tomatoes, salt, pepper, flour and egg in a large bowl.
• Heat oil in cast iron pan. Place a spoonful of the mixture into the heated pan. Flatten slightly with a spatula. I like to use a fish spatula because it easily glides under the cake. Cook until golden and flip the pancakes. Repeat. Add more oil, if necessary.
• Serve with smoked tomatoes.