By Marilyn Markel for Island Eye News
New York strip is one of my favorite cuts of beef. It’s easy and fast to cook and always tastes delicious. A perfect accompaniment is blue cheese.
• 1 ¾ pounds (1-inch thick) New York strip steak
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
• ½ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, plus more to taste
• 3 ounces blue cheese
• 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• Black pepper
• 6-8 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ pound tomatoes, washed and sliced
• ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Rub the steaks with olive oil. Add salt and pepper.
3. Grill about 5 minutes each side for medium-rare. Top with blue cheese. Remove from the grill.
4. Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
1. Gently tear lettuce into bite-size pieces.
2. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Taste with a lettuce leaf and adjust seasoning accordingly.
3. Before serving, toss lettuce leaves in dressing. Place on platter or in bowl and toss tomatoes and red onion with any remaining dressing. Add tomatoes to lettuce and serve with steak.