By Marilyn Markel for Island Eye News
• 1 small baguette
• ¼ pound Johnston County Country Ham
• 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
• 4 tablespoons butter, divided use
• 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
• 6 carrots, peeled and sliced at opposite diagonals or peeled baby carrots
• 12 waxy round potatoes, halved or quartered
• 1 tablespoon thyme, removed from stem and minced
• 2 teaspoons rosemary, removed from stem and minced
• 2 teaspoons sage, minced
• 1 head garlic, cut in half
• ¼ cup chicken stock
• 1 cup white wine (try Chardonnay)
• 1 chicken, 3½-4 pounds
1. Preheat oven to 425º.
2. Heat a Dutch oven on medium heat and sauté country ham.
3. Remove country ham from the pot and add 2 tablespoons butter.
4. Add vegetables and cook for 10 minutes. Add the herbs and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.
5. Meanwhile rub the chicken with remaining butter. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss.
6. Place chicken in pot with the vegetables. Add chicken stock and wine. Place uncovered pot in the oven and roast for about 40 minutes until chicken is brown.
7. Baste chicken with juices, cover and cook for another 30 minutes more or until chicken is done.
8. Let rest 10 minutes.
9. Boil the sauce on the stovetop until reduced while chicken is resting.